Espadaña Press Guidebooks
Our aim at Espadaña Press is to make Mexico's Spanish colonial artistic heritage come alive for the English speaking traveler in Mexico. To this end, over the past ten years we have published a series of informative and affordable guidebooks that cover the most interesting regions of colonial Mexico. As you journey through Mexico or prepare for your trip, our pictorial guides will greatly enrich your travel experience. For each area we outline the local history, folklore, and the artistic context for each building or work of art, in a clear descriptive style. The text is supplemented by numerous illustrations, maps and plans.
All of our unique guides are illustrated with original line drawings by artist Richard Perry, which render the architectural and sculptural detail with a clarity and vision unobtainable in any other medium.
- Two of our current guidebooks, Maya Missions and More Maya Missions, explore the rich but often overlooked colonial heritage of the Mayan provinces of Yucatán and Chiapas, filling an important gap for travelers along the "Ruta Maya". A new, updated edition of Maya Missions has been published for 2002.
- Our recent publication, Exploring Yucatan: A Traveler's Anthology is a new collection of classic travel narratives on Yucatan, from the 1500s to the present day - a fine companion volume to Maya Missions.
Mexico's Fortress Monasteries, our classic guide to highland Mexico and Oaxaca, focuses on the magnificent 16th century monasteries across the region with their wealth of colonial artistic treasures. Now at a special price!
- Blue Lakes and Silver Cities The complete guide for the reader who wishes to discover the fascinating world of colonial West Mexico, its spectacular art and architecture. Now also specially priced.
- In addition to our own publications, we carry selected, related books by other publishers: Western Mexico: A Traveller's Treasury, by Tony Burton, and a new book on the missions of Baja California by Ed Vernon, Las Misiones Antiguas: The Spanish Missions of Baja California
- Also check out our new page offering selected rare books on the Maya site of Palenque
We now accept credit cards. You can order Espadaña Press publications online or by telephone. If you have enjoyed visiting our site, we would appreciate your support. How to order