Barbara City College
Committee on Teaching and Learning
Feb. 4, 2008
3:00 – 4:30 p.m.
E. Bowman (Library), A. Cruse (Chair), M. Ferrer (FPDC, FRC), G. Lewin (Ed.
Sup.), M. Lorenzen (Ed. Sup.), E. McCabe (Health/Human Srvc.), J. Millward (Eng.),
P. Nunez (ESL/FL/Ed.), J. Pike (LSS), A. Scharper (Dean), J. Simpson (Sci.),
M. Spaventa (Dean), D. Starkey (Eng.), N. Warner (F. Arts)
Mark “SLO” Ferrer
• Problems with last Friday’s SLO submittals (server went down) – there will be a new deadline set for the first round of SLO submittals that were due on 2/1.
• There were also issues that arose concerning inactive courses (these were not showing on the drop down list?).
• Mark discussed the recommendation of forming a SLO committee (EVP Friedlander will present this topic at Senate Steering this week). There may be a workgroup leading up to the SLO committee.
• CTL expressed interest in being part of the SLO committee, or at least being part of the workgroup.
• Smart Scantron that tallies SLOs and multiple choice grades – Anyone interested? – Contact Stan Bursten.
• Dean Spaventa discussed a recent conference where Math faculty from Los Medanos college discussed SLOs. They did hands-on SLO exercises – one example is where they looked at an exam and found the questions that assessed SLOs (and had to identify which SLO it assessed).
• Brief discussion of the issue of student records and access to SLO individual data and the problems that could arise (e.g. poor reliability between measures and the ostensible legal issues that could arise).
Gerry Lewin – “Seek Help” document
• We reviewed the document – if anyone wants anything added to the doc, send to Gerry Lewin.
Lewin – CTL webpage
• We need to update the website with a new photo – also discussed what else to put on – Many discussed the idea of allowing faculty to post ideas gained from conferences, as well as faculty to post info from sabbaticals and conference presentations.
• Jody Millward discussed a great website – “Inside Higher Ed” and will send the CTLrs the URL.
– Gateway in-service update
• Discussed the video that was presented that highlighted two tutors: Pedro (ESL tutor) and Molly (English) tutor. Discussed the idea of DLAs and the advantage of them as a tool that not only helps students with memorization but also leads them to a greater comprehension of the material.
• DLAs – another great thing – helps structure the tutoring session by giving the tutor a specific topic on which to focus as well as specific points of interventions (specific questions).
Christine D’Arcy – Orientation
• SBCC offers the following orientations for new to college students:
Online, on campus, by visits with the local high school, student/parent orientations, ESL and International students.
Christine also does post-enrollment orientations for various depts. (did one with Drafting last semester).
Nina (Art) expressed the need for high school art teachers to be oriented for future pre-req enforcement.
CTL Minutes Archives/ SBCC